Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Enjoy a Nature Adventure with A Child, You might Find A Snake

       We were exploring, the eight year old said. I did not have the best shoes for such an adventure. I tripped and grabbed at branches trying to follow him to the shore of a small pond.
       Even at eight, he showed care holding branches away from my face and pointing out long rooted vines.
       Suddenly, with a quick reach, he excitedly called snake!, as he grabbed a small string of an animal.
       The little strand of yellow and tan squirmed nervously to get out of the gentle  grip.
       The boy spoke lovingly to the snake, this boy of my life. Then face to face, snake and child, a thin red thread-like tongue sprung out of the snake's tiny mouth. The boy jumped back but retained his hold on the prize.
       I told him how good to be so kind to this little creature. He may be scared, I said, maybe we should let him go into the pond where he was headed. He agreed.
       A long look into small snake eyes, the boy spoke softly about going back. At the shore, just before release, he whispered good bye and, to my surprise, gave the snake a kiss.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get a chance to share glorious nature days with a child this Spring.        To all of you who have purchased an e-reader copy of A Homestead Decade, How Crunchy Granola Changed My Life from Amazon Kindle (cheap 2.99), a very special thank you!

affectionately, 
Helene

No comments:

Post a Comment